JOB : Project Manager (Posted December 5th 2018)
Organization: DEEQA Construction and Water Well Drilling Company Limited
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia DEEQA Construction and Water Well Drilling Company Limited (DEEQA). The Project Manager reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of DEEQA.
Project Manager will be responsible for representing all aspects of project management best practices and to support development of sustainable approaches to capacity building and institutional strengthening of DEEQA’s project management. He will be expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Provide project management support for the planning, design, implementation and closure of projects.
- Provide technical advice in relation to quality assurance for program and project management.
- Support, advise and guide on implementation of Project Management Standards.
- Support and advise on scheduling of works, estimation of costs, budgeting, preparation of contracts, negotiation of contracts, contract disputes resolution, performance regime and monitoring of implementation.
- Support strengthening of sustainable project management best practices.
- Promote the value of good practices in program and project management; drive and support world-class performance, organizational excellence and continuous improvement.
- Lead and support strengthening of project governance structures and processes.
- Identify challenges and provide recommendations to manage project risks to ensure smooth implementation of the project.
- Assisting in the identification of operational and financial project related issues and developing solutions to address these issues in an effective manner.
- Take the lead in conducting capacity needs assessment, developing and implementing training plans to strengthen the project management capacity of the Project Management Team.
- Provide key support in the implementation of project monitoring and preparation of reports and briefings to management, client and donor.
- Undertake monitoring projects to field locations.
- Conduct annual project reviews, annual audits and program evaluations.
- Work with Client Team Engineers and senior colleagues to develop an overarching capacity development plan and training schedule across the full breadth of highway development and implementation needs for Client Organization.
- Support and advise to achieving maximum efficiency in the allocation of resources and skills within the program and projects.
- Works closely with the project team leaders to identify potential project-cost overruns, time delays or quality deficiencies, and implementation of actions for rectification.
- Provides timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs, and reporting
- Help to develop and drive a culture of excellence, continuous improvement and performance optimization across all projects in the program.
- Support establishment of performance objectives with appropriate measures for project team leaders and other program staff.
Qualifications & Work Experience:
- Master’s Degree preferably in Project Management, Civil Engineering, Contract Management or related field.
- First Level University Degree with an additional 5 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s Degree requirement.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience in project management of related works, particularly within construction and rehabilitation projects; 2 years of which at least using FIDIC contract modality.
- Experience in conducting training on subjects related to project management activities.
- Experience in implementation of World Bank or similar projects in infrastructure and rural rehabilitation considered an asset.
- Previous work experience in similar rural rehabilitation and/or road construction field in Somalia highly desirable.
- Previous work experience in Somalia or similar conflict/post-conflict environment an asset.
- Relevant certification in project management a distinct advantage.
- PRINCE 2 Foundation qualification is required, and PRINCE 2 Practitioner level is desirable.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
English is the working languages of DEEQA. For the positions advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may subjected to further assessment.
Please indicate your Salary Expectations and Joining date in the application. This Position is Urgent
A competitive all-inclusive remuneration package will be on offer to the selected candidate, with the employer providing full coverage of visa and medical insurance costs.
About our Company’s Operations:
Deeqa Construction and Well Drilling Company, a Somali construction company based in Mogadishu, Somalia where its operations uses variety of delivery methods to meet specific clients’ needs for construction management, design and build projects from various donors particularly with UNSOS/AMISON in Somalia.
DEEQA Construction & Water Well Drilling Co. LTd